Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Ships Glide In

When I was young and would leaf through the hymnal pages when I should have been listening to the sermon, this hymn caught my eye. The words were intriguing and peaceful and didn't seem hymn-like to me. I would play it on the piano at home and sing it to myself. I don't remember ever singing it in church.

The author's name is Margaret E. Sangster and she wrote this in 1893. A search on the internet led to one of her poems, which I will post on my other blog, "Enlighten & Brighten".
************************************************
The Ships Glide In
Verse 1:
The ships glide in at the harbor's mouth,
And the ships sail out to sea,
And the wind that sweeps from the sunny south
Is sweet as sweet can be.
There's a world of toil and a world of pains,
And a world of trouble and care,
But oh in a world where our Father reigns,
There is gladness everywhere!
Verse 2:
The harvest waves in the breezy morn,
And the men go forth to reap;
The fullness comes to the tasselled corn,
Whether we wake or sleep.
And far on the hills by feet untrod
There are blossoms that scent the air,
For oh in this world of our Father, God,
There is beauty everywhere!
******************************************

No comments: