Friday, March 9, 2007

A Nature Lover's Hymn

One of my favorite hymns from childhood is one for nature lovers. The words of "This is My Father's World" were penned by Maltbie D. Babcock, a Presbyterian minister who lived from 1858 to 1901. He loved to take early morning walks, and would often say, "I'm going out to see my Father's world."


"This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears,
all nature sings and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world!
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas---
His hand the wonders wrought.
This is my Father's world---
the birds their carols raise;
the morning light, the lily white,
declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world!
He shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear Him pass---
He speaks to me everywhere.
This is my Father's world---
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world!
The battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied,
and earth and heaven be one."
I don't find this hymn in any of my Lutheran hymnals. Orthodox Lutheranism doesn't dwell much on the created world of nature which is deemed fallen and faulty. Our pastor often correctly reminds us to not worship the creation. I do, however, find much comfort is being out in God's world of nature, so this hymn is very meaningful for me.
Go to www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/i/tismyfw.htm to read more verses of this hymn and hear the melody.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Actually, Paul Gerhardt, the undisputed poet laureate of Orthodox Lutheranism wrote hundreds of hymns that wax on eloquently about nature.

Jeannelle said...

Thank you for your informative comment!