Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Amazing Grace

The first hymn I'm posting is "Amazing Grace" by John Newton, an English Anglican pastor who lived from 1725 to 1807 . Here is some interesting background about him, from a book of hymn stories called Amazing Grace, by Kenneth W. Osbeck:

"Calling himself a 'wretch' who was lost and blind, John Newton recalled leaving school at the age of 11 to begin life as a rough, debauched seaman. Eventually he engaged in the despicable practice of capturing natives from West Africa to be sold as slaves to markets around the world. But one day the grace of God put fear into the heart of this wicked slave trader through a fierce storm. Greatly alarmed and fearful of a shipwreck, Newton began to read The Imitation of Christ by Thomas 'a Kempis. God used this book to lead him to a genuine conversion and dramatic change in his way of life.

Until the time of his death at the age of 82, John Newton never ceased to marvel at the grace of God that transformed him so completely. Shortly before his death he is quoted as proclaiming with a loud voice during a message, ' My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior!'. "

Verse 1:
"Amazing Grace---how sweet the sound---that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see."

Verse 2:
"Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed!"

Verse 3:
"Through many dangers, toils, and snares I have already come.
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home."

Verse 4:
"The Lord has promised good to me; His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures."

Verse 5: (written later by John P. Rees, 1828-1900)
"When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise than when we'd first begun."


My old Baptist hymnal, "The Service Hymnal" omits Verse 4.

My Lutheran hymnal, "Lutheran Worship" (1982) omits Verse 2 and 5, and uses the following as its Verse 4:
"Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail, and mortal life shall cease,
Amazing grace shall then prevail in heaven's joy and peace."

The Lutheran hymnals of 1941 and 1919 do not contain "Amazing Grace", probably because it was not of German origin.

I'm looking at Verse 2 to see what might be erroneous as far as Lutherans are concerned. Maybe the concept of "the hour I first believed". For Lutherans that would be when they are baptized as infants, so they wouldn't have a memory of the hour they first believed. Or, possibly, for Lutherans, the hour they first believe actually takes place every time the Word is in their ears.

No comments: