Sunday, November 11, 2007

From God Can Nothing Move Me

Today in church, we sang hymn #713 from the Lutheran Service Book......"From God Can Nothing Move Me". Only the melody notes were printed; I'm in the dark as to why that is done with some of the hymns in that book.

One line stood out to me, from verse 5:


"Each day finds its vocation,
Responding to His voice."
That was a refreshing thought to ponder-----each day having its own vocation, its own purpose in God's plan. Usually, a vocation is thought of as a person's calling in life.
This hymn was written by Ludwig Helmbold, 1532-1598. The words we sang today must be from an alternate translation, for my older Lutheran hymnals here at home have different words, from a translation by Catherine Winkworth, and, obviously, it doesn't include the words above that caught my attention:
************************************
Verse 1:
********
From God can nothing move me;
He will not step aside
But always will reprove me
And be my constant guide.
He stretches out His hand
In evening and in morning,
Providing His forewarning
Wherever I may stand.
*******
Verse 2:
*******
When those whom I regarded
As trustworthy and sure
Have long from me departed,
God's grace shall still endure.
He cares for all my needs,
From sin and shame corrects me,
From Satan's bonds protects me;
Not even death succeeds.
*******
Verse 3:
*******
When in my darkest hour.....
I can on Him rely;
I have from Him the power
All evil to defy.
For God alone has might,
And I shall never fear it;
My body, soul, and spirit
Belong to Him by right.
********
Verse 4:
********
Praise God with hearts and voices,
For both are gifts from Him;
A troubled world rejoices
Each time we worship Him.
The days we spend on earth
Without our God are wasted,
For we shall not have tasted
His joy in endless birth.
*******
Verse 5:
*******
Yet even though I suffer
The world's unpleasantness,
And though the days grow rougher
And bring me great distress,
That day of bliss divine,
Which know no end or measure,
And Christ, who is my pleasure,
Forever shall be mine.
*******
Verse 6:
*******
We were by God created
In His own time and place
And by His Son persuaded
To follow truth and grace.
The Spirit guides our ways
And faithfully will lead us
That nothing can impede us.
To God be all our praise!
AMEN
*************************************************************

No comments: