Monday, August 22, 2011

Awake, My Soul, and With the Sun

In The Service Hymnal, this hymn is categorized as a “morning hymn”. 

Awake, my soul, and with the sun
Thy daily stage of duty run
Shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise
To pay thy morning sacrifice

Wake, and lift up thyself, my heart
And with the angels bear thy part
Who all night long unwearied sing
High praise to the eternal king

All praise to Thee, who safe hast kept
And hast refreshed me while I slept
Grant, Lord, when I from death shall wake
I may of endless life partake

Direct, control, suggest, this day
All I design, or do, or say
That all my powers, with all their might
In Thy sole glory may unite


Click HERE for more info.

This hymn has several more verses, not included in the hymnal.  The final verse is…..

Praise God from all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

…..recognizable as a Doxology used by many denominations.  Listen to it here.

No comments: