Sunday, February 24, 2008

Jesus, Refuge of the Weary

Today in church, our closing hymn was "Jesus, Refuge of the Weary". The words were penned by Girolamo Savonarola in the 1400's. Hmm......I read about him once in a book. He was a priest in Italy, perhaps around Florence, who was obsessed with getting rid of books and art which he considered offensive and immoral. The book I was reading was a novel about two college students who believed they had found coded information in an old, mysterious manuscript, giving clues to a stash of priceless artwork and books hidden away back in the days of Savonarola's purges. It was just fiction, of course, but the old manuscript really exists; I have forgotten the details of it, though, and long ago gave the book away.



Father Savonarola evidently attracted quite a following for awhile. People would flock to his Masses, and he spoke of having visions from God. Eventually, Mr. Savonarola must have crossed a line, for he ended up being executed on the order of a Pope. Imagine what Mr. Savonarola would think of today's art, movies, TV shows, books, etc.!

I can understand why this hymn would be chosen to sing on Oculi Sunday.......the words speak several times of "seeing".......Christ seeing the sinner's fall.......and the need for us to keep our eyes on Christ. Through inner spiritual sight, I would say, but some might think of a more literal meaning: viewing the bread and wine of Communion as the Body and Blood of Christ.




*************************************






Verse 1:


******


Jesus, refuge of the weary,


Blest redeemer, whom we love,


Fountain in life's desert dreary,


Savior from the world above:


Often have your eyes, offended,


Gazed upon the sinner's fall;


Yet upon the cross extended,


You have borne the pain of all.




******


Verse 2:


******




Do we pass that cross unheeding,


Breathing no repentant vow,


Though we see you wounded, bleeding,


See your thornencircled brow?


Yet your sinless death has brought us


Life eternal, peace and rest;


Only what your grace has taught us


Calms the sinner's deep distress.




******


Verse 3:


******




Jesus, may our hearts be burning


With more fervent love for you;


May our eyes be ever turning


To behold your cross, anew;


Till in glory, parted never


From the blessed Savior's side,


Graven in our hearts forever,


Dwell the cross, the Crucified.


AMEN




********************************************


Cyberhymnal link for this hymn

4 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Well.. it wasn't hard to find this at all. Had I just gone to read your 'complete profile' I would have seen it. My bad!

I like the information you share about the origin of the hymns. Thanks. Several of these are in our Episcopal Hymnal (1982). I am particularly fond of "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence," and sang it out loud just now, much to my cat's enjoyment. For some reason, they are intrigued when I sing, or whistle, and will gather round to listen -- an uncritical audience; I love it.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Pat!

Fancy meeting you here!! Thank you for your very nice comment.....I can just see and hear you, singing this lovely him to your cat. I do talk to our cats often, and should sing to them, too!

You are probably only maybe the second comment this hymn blog has ever received. I do enjoy looking for background info on hymns, and should get back to doing it!

Thanks again!

Dina said...

Shalom to you and thanks for your visit to Jerusalem Hills.
How great, a blog about hymns!
When I lived at Heifer Ranch, Arkansas, I liked to attend many churches and I really learned to love the old hymns.
Thanks for doing this.

robert said...

Thanks for posting the words of Savanarola's "Jesus, Refuge of the Weary." Beautiful hymn, though we may not agree with some of the author's words and actions. Today is the 557th anniversary of his birth. Like you, I draw hymns for my blog, Wordwise Hymns from a wide variety of sources.