Thursday, October 11, 2007

Let Us Ever Walk With Jesus

Here's a hymn we sang last Sunday in church, "Let Us Ever Walk With Jesus". Its one of my Lutheran favorites and has a nice easy alto part to sing. An old hymn, it was written in 1653, not long after the Reformation, by Sigismund von Birken (1626-81). The tune we sing it to was written by Georg G. Boltze in 1788, so how it was sung before that I have no idea. The words possibly reflect the difficult times in Europe in the 1600's, with religious wars going on. Applicable, of course, are these lyrics to people living at any time in history.


Another reason this hymn catches my eye is because walking is a favorite pastime of mine. If only I truly felt I was "walking" with Jesus. But, Lutherans emphasize not worrying about feeling anything in relation to faith, so I'll just walk on and trust.


In the middle of night a couple days ago, I awoke with this line from the hymn playing over and over in my head, "Let us do our Father's bidding.......Let us do our Father's bidding......".
***********************************
Verse 1:
Let us ever walk with Jesus,
Follow His example pure,
Through a world that would deceive us
And to sin our spirits lure.
Onward in His footsteps treading,
Pilgrims here, our home above,
Full of faith and hope and love,
Let us do our Father's bidding,
Faithful Lord, with me abide;
I shall follow where you guide.
**********
Verse 2:
Let us suffer here with Jesus
And with patience bear our cross.
Joy will follow all our sadness;
Where He is, there is no loss.
Though today we sow no laughter,
We shall reap celestial joy;
All discomforts that annoy
Shall give way to mirth hereafter.
Jesus, here I share Your woe;
Help me there your joy to know.
***********
Verse 3:
Let us gladly die with Jesus,
Since by death he conquered death,
He will free us from destruction,
Give to us immortal breath.
Let us mortify all passion
That would lead us into sin;
Then by grace we all my win
Untold fruits of His creation,
Jesus, unto You I die,
There to live with You on high.
************
Verse 4:
Let us also live with Jesus,
He has risen from the dead
That to life we may awaken.
Jesus, since You are our head,
We are your own living members;
Where You live, there we shall be
In Your presence constantly,
Living there with You forever,
Jesus, let me faithful be,
Life eternal grant to me.
******************************************

No comments: